Whether you call it a clam bake, clambake, or New England clam bake you will love this easy, delicious foil packet dinner.
First, I combine clams, sausage, potatoes, garlic, and corn. Then, I generously season the whole works with Old Bay seasoning. After that, its time to drizzle it with oodles of melted butter (my favorite!) for this seaside favorite. If you aren’t near the beach or aren’t a fan of eating sand with dinner, this seafood dinner can be grilled right in your back yard!
To top it off all of these ingredients are wrapped in a foil packet for easy preparation, eating, and cleanup! The perfect one-pot meal!
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious meal you can grill for family or guests this dish delivers. There is nothing quite like the wow factor of opening up a packet of boiled clams and vegetables!
This easy-to-prepare clambake delivers the same amazing aroma and flavor as the classic New England fare. Minus the sand! As each diner opens their individual packet, you will see their delight at this unique and enjoyable classic meal.
Let’s make this!
Make sure to:
- Purchase clams from a known and trusted supplier. If buying them in a bag, check for a certification number on the label. Discard any clams that have cracked or broken shells. Before cooking, tap each shell gently — the clam should close when tapped; discard any that do not
- You can substitute dry-cured chorizo or andouille sausage for the linguiça.
Pssst: You can top off your grilling time with the remaining beer! Win-win!
Clam Bake Grilled in a Foil Packet
You will need
- Four 12-inch square sheets cheesecloth
- Four 24-inch square sheets heavy-duty foil
- 48 small clams about 2 lbs, scrubbed
- 2 lbs linguiça sausage
- 2 lbs new potatoes quartered
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 ears sweet corn shucked and cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning
- 1 bottle 12 oz beer, (see tip)
- Virgin olive oil
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, melted
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat barbecue grill to medium-high heat
- Place a sheet of cheesecloth on top of each foil sheet. Add clams, dividing evenly. Top with sausages, potatoes, garlic, and corn, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning. Fold edges of foil up into a bowl shape around the clam mixture and pour 1/2 bottle of beer into each packet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Fold foil into tent-style packets and seal edges tightly.
- Place packets on preheated grill and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender and clams have opened. Open packets and discard any clams that have not opened. Drizzle clam mixture with melted butter and garnish with parsley.