This recipe for grilled skirt steak with grilled vegetables is one of my favorite dishes for an easy weekend meal. It is really nice to have this recipe in your book for when you want to fire up the grill for an easy weeknight dinner. The prep and cleanup are both so quick and easy, this could become one of your go-to meals.
Marinating the vegetables takes 2 hours, so you will need to plan ahead. Other than the marinating time, prepping the vegetables does not take much time. You can speed up the hands-on preparation if you use a packaged fresh vegetable mix. I can usually find them in my produce section either with the salad mixes or greens. Occasionally they are labeled as a vegetable mix for soup.
Looking for simple, delicious grilling ideas?
This perfectly grilled steak is a must on your menu. This flavorful cut of steak is sprinkled with Mediterranean-style seasonings. I then add potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, and fennel to the mix for a full course meal all in one packet. I then wrap this ideal combination in foil for a sure-fire, melt-in-your-mouth grilled steak and side dish. Talk about the perfect grilled skirt steak foil packet or one-pan meal. Most of all, the cleanup is easy too!
This foil packet meal is great for entertaining. You can throw multiple packets on your grill. You won’t have to fuss with standing over the grill tossing and turning your ingredients. Just follow the recommended grilling time and you can count on perfectly done steak and veggies. Spend time enjoying your guests and weekend activities with this mouthwatering grilled steak and marinated grilled vegetables recipe.
Grilled Skirt Steak With Grilled Vegetables
You will need
- 2 double sheets heavy-duty foil, top sheets sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- 4 small red-skinned potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 zucchini cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow summer squash cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel cut into thin wedges
- 1 16 oz bottle 16 oz Greek vinaigrette
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, optional
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb beef skirt steak cut in half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large sealable plastic bag, combine potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, onion, fennel and dressing. Seal, toss to coat and marinate at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat barbecue grill to medium-high heat.
- In another large sealable plastic bag, combine rosemary (if using), oil and vinegar. Add steak, seal and toss to coat.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer one-quarter of the marinated vegetables to each prepared foil sheet. Remove steak from oil mixture, discarding oil mixture, and place on top of vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Top steak with the remaining vegetables, dividing evenly. Reserve vegetable marinade. Fold foil into flat packets and seal edges tightly.
- Place packets on grill and cook for 12 to 16 minutes, turning packets over once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the steak registers 145°F for medium-rare (or cook to desired doneness). Remove from grill and let rest for 3 minutes before opening foil.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the reserved vegetable marinade over medium heat until steaming.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and thinly slice on the bias across the grain. Serve with vegetables, drizzled with warm marinade.
- For a little bit of spiciness, add 2 tsp hot pepper flakes with the vinegar in step 3.
- For a quick and easy version, use a 16-oz (500 g) or larger bag of thawed frozen mixed Mediterranean vegetables.