Instant Pot Whole Chicken (Moist and Tender)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 26 minutes
Resting Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 41 minutes
Easy to make roasted chicken in your Instant Pot is just like store-bought rotisserie chicken only better. Great for family dinner night or shred chicken to use in other dishes.
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 lbs/1.5 kg), trussed with wings and legs tied together (see tip), patted dry
- 1-1/2 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (approx.)
- 3/4 cup ready-to-use chicken broth or Chicken Stock
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
Season chicken all over with poultry seasoning, paprika, and salt. Set your Instant Pot to sauté on Normal. When the display says Hot, add butter and oil; heat until butter is melted. Add chicken and cook for about 8 minutes, turning often and adding more oil as necessary, until browned on all sides. Using tongs, transfer chicken to a plate.
Pour in broth and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, for about 1 minute. Add bay leaf (if using). Press Cancel.
Place the steam rack in the pot. Transfer chicken to the rack, breast side up. Add any accumulated juices from the chicken.
Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to Sealing. Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook on High for 18 minutes.
When the cooking time is done, press Cancel and turn the steam release handle to Venting. When the float valve drops down, remove the lid.
An instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breast should register at least 165°F (74°C). (If more cooking time is needed, continue pressure cooking on High for 2 minutes.)
Transfer chicken to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes or until ready to carve or shred. Strain cooking liquid and make gravy (see tip), or let cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days to use as stock (see tip).
- This will yield about 3 cups shredded chicken.
- Measure the diameter of your inner pot and purchase a chicken that will fit in it.
- To make gravy, transfer the cooking liquid to a glass measuring cup and spoon off as much fat as possible. In a small bowl, stir together 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour and 2 tbsp (30 mL) cold water to make a slurry. Stir slurry into cooking liquid until well combined. Set your Instant Pot to sauté on Less. When the display says Hot, add gravy and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until thickened to your liking.
- If using the leftover cooking liquid as stock, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Skim fat from stock before using. You will have 2 ⁄3 to 1 cup (150 to 250 mL) stock.
- In place of poultry seasoning, you can use 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) each dried sage, thyme and rosemary.
- If your chicken came with giblets, you can add them to the pot in step 4.
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 158mg | Sodium: 637mg | Potassium: 421mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1025IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 2mg